Second Trimester Recap
We are 28 weeks in! Like I said in the last recap, I can’t believe we only have 12 weeks left until we meet our little babe!
The second trimester or “golden trimester” as the saying goes, was a rollercoaster of ups and downs. But overall I would say I felt pretty good, especially weeks 20-27! Below, I am sharing some of my symptoms, must haves, significant events and my favorite part of this trimester!
Some Noteworthy Events:
- ANATOMY SCAN: At 19 weeks we saw baby for the first time since she looked like a little blob! IT’S A GIRL. Tyler and I had a feeling baby was a girl from the beginning. We were pleasantly surprised that our intuition was correct! We had a special reveal between the two of us… We brought a pink onesie and a blue onesie to the ultra sound and asked the technician to put the correct outfit in a paper bag that we would open when we got home. Then, later that night we went out to dinner with our parents and siblings to share the news!
- BABY KICKS: At 20 weeks I felt baby kick for the first time! SO surreal and exciting. At first, they felt like little bubbles and each week got progressively stronger. Tyler was able to feel her move for the first time this week as well! He has been loving talking to her every night before bedtime. She is most active at night, so new hobby is sitting down together before bed and feeling her move and groove!
- EMOTIONAL BREAKDOWN At 21 weeks: I remember saying early on in this trimester, “Wow I can’t believe I am not emotional and crying at the drop of a hat”. Well guys, it HIT me. I would cry easily, get annoyed at Tyler and just feel upset at the smallest things. Luckily Ty has been very understanding and supportive! But MAN, these hormones got the best of me!
- NEED NEW PANTS: At 21 weeks, I also officially was not able to button my pants. I had been wearing mostly dresses with leggings to work and pants officially became uncomfortable. I invested for the very first time in Lululemon Align pants, and boy did I not know what I was missing! These are a MUST HAVE for me and I don’t know what I would be putting on my bottom half if it weren’t for these leggings. They fit the bump perfectly and I just got the same size I normally wear, pre pregnancy. Also, I have still been able to fit in Jeggings from Old Navy, which I have been wearing on the weekends for just hanging out. These“jeans” are so stretchy and comfortable, perfect for pregnancy and the bump!
- CRAVINGS- My most consistent cravings this trimester were pancakes, Cheeze its and ice cream! My two favorites growing up! I had there more times than I would like to admit but hey, it’s all about balance!
- BIRTH CENTER: At 23 weeks Tyler and I attended our birth center orientation and tour! We were blown away by the facility and staff and cannot wait to deliver at Natural Beginnings Birth Center.
- YOU’RE PREGNANT- Around 25-26 weeks I felt the bump had officially made an appearance. I started showing a lot more in my clothes. More people, especially out in public noticed and I could start feeling people’s eyes directing towards my belly. Thanksfully, I have had no strangers come touch the baby bump…. Yet!
- GLUCOSE TEST: At 27 weeks I had my glucose test which I gratefully passed. I chose the lemon lime flavor (either that or fruit punch) which was also clear, no artificial coloring. The taste was not as bad as I expected, but about 30 minutes into waiting for my blood to be drawn I felt AWFUL. Lethargic, fatigues, almost dizzy even. It eventually passed but I was not prepared for that part… definitely was ready for a nap.
- My favorite part of this trimester is 100% feeling baby move! It’s crazy the difference in her intensity of kicks in the last 8 weeks. It’s an indescribable feeling and such a beautiful bond between mama and baby.
Second Trimester Symptoms
- CLEAR FACE: After the first few weeks of this trimester my face completely cleared up! Fingers crossed, I have not had much acne on my face and my complexion has also improved. However, I have still been getting pimples on my shoulders and back, which has been manageable.
- DISCOMFORT: As my belly grew bigger + breasts got fuller, by upper back has been taking a toll. This started around 20 weeks. Sitting too long staying in the same position can be really uncomfortable. I also have a strange pain right under my bra line, numb and tingly at times. Apparently, this is completely normal and goes away after pregnancy.
- PELVIC PAIN: I had been experiencing pelvic pain/hip pain throughout my pregnancy so far. Even walking moderate distances, and certain exercise irritate it and cause it to flare up. I have been seeing a chiropractor and it has been a LIFE SAVER! Highly recommend if your experiencing discomfort or pain during pregnancy.
- HUNGER- This trimester I found myself hungry all the time! I mostly ate 3 meals per day and a few snacks and listened to by body. I ate when I was hungry and have not been tracking or following a certain plan. Just trying to get in fruits, veggies, healthy fats, protein and carbs.
- PREGNANCY BRAIN: This is so real… I forgot to put it in my original draft. I find myself extremely forgetful! Ty and I end up laughing at just about every little thing I can’t remember or don’t think of. He has been starting to text me daily reminders and we even broke out the old paper calendar! I used to be able to remember dates, to dos and everything in between without writing it down… those days are over but hoping they return! I hear pregnancy brain turns to mom brain… so we will see!
Second Trimester Favorites:
- Chiropractor! Seriously a game changer and has been making this pregnancy so much more enjoyable!
- Ice water + lemon
- Amazon Baby Registry( Free Welcome Package)
- Pregnancy Meditationsat bedtime
- Nancy Taylor Prenatal Workoutson Youtube
Any mamas out there feel free to share your pregnancy