Fat is one of the three macronutrients. It provides 9 calories per gram, a more calorically dense nutrient when compared to carbohydrate and protein which each contain 4 calories per gram. Fat molecules are composed of fatty acids. It is naturally occurring in animal products and plants. There are different types of fat: saturated fats, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated. Because fat is energy dense, it helps to keep us full and satisfied for a longer period of time. Fat is important to help absorb nutrients such as vitamin A, D, E and K. So next time your eating a big salad or a plate full of veggies- go for the full fat salad dressing! ( as long as it is coming from a healthy source).
IMPORTANCE OF FATS:
- Fats are a component of the membrane of every cell in our body
- They help absorb fat soluble vitamins in the body
- Contribute to brain health
- Source of efficient energy for our body
- Structural component of hormones
- Contributes to healthier skin
-Although they are more calorically dense they have many beneficial properties. The most important thing to remember is the QUALITY of the fat.
- Saturated fat can be part of a healthy diet in moderation
-Monounsaturated Fatty Acids (MUFA) are very health promoting. Eat your avocados, and olive oil!
-We need both omega 3 and omega 6, however the Standard American Diet contains much more omega 6 oils, (which are inflammatory) compared to omega 3.
- Incorporate more Omega 3s into your diet
- Nuts and seeds are healthy sources of omega 6s.
-Fat helps keep us full and satisfied
-Foods that contain fat often have many other health benefits, vitamins, nutrients
My favorite sources of fat are: avocados, ghee, coconut oil, eggs and salmon!
Comment and let me know your favorite fats to eat!
To learn more about fats, check out this blog post.